Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Xerox card for ICON 5

I was asked to illustrate a playing card for Xerox for the illustration conference, ICON 5. Each suit was given to a different New York City art school to illustrate. Parsons was assigned the hearts, and I picked the Queen. I really enjoyed this project because there weren't many limitations, which let my mind wander in various directions. These were my sketches:









The main hurdle with this assignment was to make an image that would create an interesting, as well as dynamic, image when it was doubled and flipped for the reverse side. I liked the Aztec one, but the AD pushed me to make the female bigger (which I agreed with), take out the ziggurat, and make the circle design smaller.

Took the Aztec Queen to a more refined sketch:





And here is the final:

No comments: